Always available to visitors please call or visit their websites for opening times.
James Madison's Montpelier
13384 Laundry Road, Montpelier Station
Montpelier is home of the Father of the Constitution and Fourth President of the United States, James Madison, and his wife Dolley. The residence has undergone a nationally acclaimed restoration to its original 1820 design and recreation of the interior including Madison’s library where he wrote the Constitution. Visit the two-acre formal terraced Annie Dupont garden, the landmark old growth forest and archeological excavations of homes of the enslaved community. Walk the Civil War Trail through the Confederate winter camp and conclude at the Gilmore Farm, site of the restored freed man’s slave cabin. Admission discounts with Garden Week ticket.
Culpeper History Museum
13 S. Commerce Street, Culpeper (train depot) 22714
Graffiti House and The Battle of Brandy Station
19484 Brandy Road, Culpeper 22714
The Battle of Brandy Station was the largest cavalry battle of the Civil
War and the first battle of the Gettysburg Campaign. Historic Graffiti
House is headquarters for battlefield tours which will be offered all
The 1862 Battle of Cedar Mountain
Rt. 15 at General Winder Road, Culpeper 22701
(5.5 miles south of Culpeper)
The Battle of Cedar Mountain witnessed Maj. General “Stonewall”
Jackson’s 22,000 Confederate troops opposing Maj. General John
Pope’s 12,000 troops in a narrow Confederate victory. The Civil War
Preservation Trust had created a self-guided trail with interpretive
19173 Salubria Ln, Stevensburg 22741
Historic Salubria is an 18th century (ca. 1757) Georgian-style
manor house and is one of the few surviving structures linked to
the time of the settlement of Germanna. It stands as the oldest
brick house in Culpeper County. Under the Garden Club of Virginia’s
William D. Rieley Fellowship, landscape architect Sonia Brenner
researched the gardens and landscape of the property, focusing on
the “falling garden.” Garden has not yet been restored. House open
from 11 a.m.–3 p.m. especially for Historic Garden Week.
Other places of Interest
EXCHANGE HOTEL & CIVIL WAR MUSEUM
400 S. Main Street, Gordonsville
Built in 1860, the property was converted by the Confederate Army in 1862 into the Gordonsville Receiving Hospital where over 70,000 troops were treated. In 1865, the Freedman’s Bureau was established in the building to give free medical care and education to newly freed slaves. www.hgiexchange.org.
JAMES MADISON MUSEUM
129 Caroline Street, Orange
The first museum to fully commemorate the “Father of the Constitution” provides insight into the life and legacy of President James Madison.
ARTS CENTER IN ORANGE
129 E. Main Street, Orange
Located in a 1911 brick building which houses rotating exhibits of local artists; art and art objects are available for purchase.